When it comes to nourishment, it’s important to make the right choice for you and your baby. The right choice is different for each family, so you need to be comfortable with your decision.
For those who choose to breastfeed, our experienced nursing staff is specially trained to provide education and support. Our lactation consultants are also available for consultation to help you with your questions and plans for feeding. For those who choose to bottle-feed, formula and bottles/nipples will be provided during the hospital stay.
Not sure which option is best for you? While we will support whichever decision you make, here are some important facts to consider:
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding your baby for the first year of life. Breastfed babies have:
- Fewer ear and respiratory infections
- Decreased incidence of allergies
- Better jaw development and teeth formation
- Higher I.Q.’s
- Decreased incidence of high blood pressure and diabetes in adulthood
- Breastfeeding saves more than $1000 per year in formula bills, as well as helps you to get back to your pre-pregnancy shape quicker
Watch our short video to learn about the health benefits of breastfeeding from one of our lactation consultants.
Firelands Regional Medical Center is also the only hospital in the area to make the list of Four Star Hospitals in the Ohio First Steps for Healthy Babies program from the Ohio Hospital Association and the Ohio Department of Health. This means that Firelands follows the below steps:
- Our breastfeeding policy is reviewed during each staff member’s orientation.
- All staff receives 20 hours of specialized breast feeding education, then annually participates in continuing breastfeeding education.
- All mothers receive information regarding benefits and management of breastfeeding.
- Lactation consultants, lactation counselors and specially trained RNs are available to assist and encourage mothers to put baby to breast within the first hour of life.
- Lactation consultants, lactation counselors and specially trained RNs are available to show moms how to breastfeed.
- We allow and encourage infants to room-in with mom 24 hours per day.
- We encourage feeding on demand.
- We do not provide pacifiers or artificial nipples to breast fed infants.
- We provide support groups and also refer mothers to community support groups upon discharge.
Lactation Services When You Need Them
Certified Lactation Consultants are available for inpatient and outpatient consultations. A certified lactation consultant provides expert breastfeeding and lactation care, promotes changes that support breastfeeding and helps reduce the risks of not breastfeeding. You are also encouraged to call 419-557-7596 for all your breastfeeding questions.
We also offer educational classes to assist moms-to-be and new moms with breastfeeding and answer any questions they may have. These courses include:
Breastfeeding Basics: The class is designed to teach new parents the benefits of breastfeeding and how to successfully breastfeed their baby. The cost for this course is $10.00. Register online by visiting our events calendar or by calling 419-557-7840. The Foundation for Firelands provides funding to make this program possible.
Breastfeeding Clinic: This free clinic is open to the public to assist breastfeeding mothers with answering breastfeeding questions or concerns and to offer breastfeeding support. Certified lactation consultants are available to address any breastfeeding challenges or questions that arise and to weigh infants. Appointments are not required. For additional information call 419-557-7596.