Support for cancer patients and their family is key to the holistic approach to treatment at University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center at Firelands Regional Medical Center. Support services available at the cancer center are:
- Access to the lymphedema treatment center, which is staffed by a physical therapist certified in the treatment of lymphedema
- American Cancer Society resource center and library, which offers an abundance of resources and information on cancer. DVDs and written materials are available as well as computer access to Internet resources.
- From Cancer to Health, which helps people recently diagnosed with cancer manage their stress. Research shows that the program helps people reduce stress, improve social support, have fewer physical side effects from cancer treatments and have easier communication with their healthcare providers. For more information, call 419.557.5193.
- Community room, which is available for activities like community education events, music therapy and cancer support group meetings
- Massage room, where you can experience the benefits of therapeutic touch and nonpharmacological pain management
- Meditation room, which offers patients and visitors a quiet place for reflection
- Pet assisted activities, where volunteers, along with their furry partners, visit patients. The four-legged volunteers provide much solace and relief to patients.
The Foundation for Firelands Cancer Program Fund benefits patients of University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center at Firelands in the following ways:
- Provides post-mastectomy camisoles and educational materials to all breast cancer surgical patients
- Provides reiki, massage therapy and acupuncture to those patients whose physicians have written an order for therapy
- Provides transportation assistance for patients in need
- Provides co-pay financial assistance for patients who qualify through the Firelands Regional Medical Center financial counseling offices
- Provides the use of laptops during chemotherapy treatments
- Provides craft projects, plants and refreshments for the support group