Firelands Regional Medical Center is the area's largest and most comprehensive resource for quality medical care. Resulting from the consolidation of what once were three separate hospitals serving the area, Firelands Regional Medical Center now serves as the only full-service medical center in Erie County. Firelands Regional Medical Center is locally managed and governed as a not-for-profit healthcare facility.
- Sandusky is located on the beautiful shores of Lake Erie, midway between Cleveland and Toledo, near State Route 2 and the Ohio Turnpike (Route 80).
- Firelands Regional Medical Center serves the counties of Erie, Ottawa, Sandusky and Huron, covering a regional service area with over 300,000 residents.
- Firelands Counseling and Recovery Services has nine offices located in seven counties: Erie, Huron, Lorain, Ottawa, Sandusky, Seneca and Wyandot.
- Firelands Home Health Services currently serves four counties (Erie, Huron, Ottawa and Sandusky) and parts of nine more communities (Crawford, Cuyahoga, Hancock, Lorain, Lucas, Seneca, Wood, Wyandot and Richland).
By the Numbers
- 287 registered beds in 2020
- 7,775 inpatients and 266,232 outpatients served in 2021
- More than 2,000 employees; Sandusky’s largest year-round employer
- 44,460 emergency room and urgent care visits in 2021
- 668 births in 2021
- 254 medical staff members, representing over 35 different specialties
- 96 allied health professionals - staff who work alongside or in support of physicians and nurses, such as X-ray technicians, dietitians, speech or physical therapists and lab technicians
- 138,242 patient office visits provided by Firelands Physician Group in 2021
Firelands Regional Health System provided over $38.71 million in community benefit in 2021. Community benefit includes uncovered costs of medical education, charity care and care not covered by Medicare and Medicaid, donations, community health education and outreach programs, and subsidized health services.
University of Toledo Medical Center – Toledo, Ohio
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine – Athens, Ohio
Bowling Green State University - Bowling Green, Ohio
Bowling Green State University – Firelands College - Huron, Ohio
University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine – Kansas City, Mo.
University of Osteopathic Medicine Health Sciences – Des Moines, Iowa
Midwestern University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Glendale, Ariz.
Lorain County Community College - Elyria, Ohio
Lourdes College – Sylvania, Ohio
Erie Huron Ottawa Vocational Education (EHOVE) - Milan, Ohio
Sandusky Career Center - Sandusky, Ohio
Terra Community College - Fremont, Ohio
Hospital Network Affiliations
University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center collaboration and physician staffing agreement