Firelands Regional Medical Center is the area's largest and most comprehensive resource for quality medical care. Resulting from the consolidation of what once were three separate hospitals serving the area, Firelands Regional Medical Center now serves as the only full-service medical center in Erie County. Firelands Regional Medical Center is locally managed and governed as a not-for-profit healthcare facility.
- Sandusky is located on the beautiful shores of Lake Erie, midway between Cleveland and Toledo, near State Route 2 and the Ohio Turnpike (Route 80).
- Firelands Regional Medical Center serves the counties of Erie, Ottawa, Sandusky and Huron, covering a regional service area with over 300,000 residents.
- Firelands Counseling and Recovery Services has 10 offices located in seven counties: Erie, Huron, Lorain, Ottawa, Sandusky, Seneca and Wyandot.
- Firelands Home Health Services currently serves four counties (Erie, Huron, Ottawa and Sandusky) and parts of nine more communities (Crawford, Cuyahoga, Hancock, Lorain, Lucas, Seneca, Wood, Wyandot and Richland).
By the Numbers
- 405 registered beds in 2019
- 9,697 inpatients and 264,159 outpatients served in 2019
- Approximately 2,583 employees; Sandusky’s largest year-round employer
- 61,695 emergency room and urgent care visits in 2019
- 790 births in 2019
- 254 medical staff members, representing over 35 different specialties
- 85 allied health professionals
- 164,531 patient office visits provided by Firelands Physician Group in 2019
Firelands Regional Health System provided over $32.96 million in community benefit in 2019. Community benefit includes uncovered costs of medical education, charity care and care not covered by Medicare and Medicaid, donations, community health education and outreach programs, and subsidized health services.
University of Toledo Medical Center – Toledo, Ohio
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine – Athens, Ohio
Bowling Green State University - Bowling Green, Ohio
Bowling Green State University – Firelands College - Huron, Ohio
University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine – Kansas City, Mo.
University of Osteopathic Medicine Health Sciences – Des Moines, Iowa
Midwestern University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Glendale, Ariz.
Lorain County Community College - Elyria, Ohio
Lourdes College – Sylvania, Ohio
Erie Huron Ottawa Vocational Education (EHOVE) - Milan, Ohio
Sandusky Career Center - Sandusky, Ohio
Terra Community College - Fremont, Ohio
Hospital Network Affiliations
University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center collaboration and physician staffing agreement