Quality Measures & Performance Improvement
Quality measures are available to allow Firelands Regional Medical Center to compare itself with industry leaders and identify opportunities upon which to focus resources and efforts for improvement. Such comparisons can also help consumers choose resources for their healthcare based on quality processes and outcomes. When choosing Firelands, you can do so with confidence.
Significant Accreditations, Certifications, and Recognitions
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) -- sets standards and promotes excellence in sleep medicine health care, education and research. The AASM accredits both sleep disorder centers and home sleep apnea testing programs.
- American College of Cardiology (ACC) -- a nonprofit medical society dedicated to enhancing the lives of cardiovascular patients through continuous quality improvement, patient-centered care, payment innovation and professionalism.
- American College of Radiology (ACR) -- a professional medical society dedicated to serving patients and society by empowering radiology professionals to advance the practice, science and professions of radiological care.
- American College of Surgeons (ACS) Commission on Cancer -- benefits an array of health care professionals, patients, and facilities through standard-setting, accreditation, and educational activities. The Commission on Cancer develops educational resources, offers useful training opportunities, and stays up to date on the latest cancer care trends and treatments.
- American College of Surgeons (ACS) Verified Level III Trauma Center -- verifies processes and resources are in place to provide optimal care to the injured patient.
- American Diabetes Association -- works to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes. Each year, the American Diabetes Association recognizes and honors individuals who have met the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) which are designed to define quality diabetes self-management education that can be implemented in diverse settings and will facilitate improvement in health care outcomes.
- College of American Pathologists (CAP) -- the leading organization of board-certified pathologists and serves patients, pathologists and the public by fostering and advocating excellence in the practice of pathology and laboratory medicine worldwide.
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation (CARF) -- an independent, nonprofit accreditor of human service providers in the areas of aging services, behavioral health, child and youth services, DMEPOS, employment and community services, and medical rehabilitation.
- Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP) -- authorized by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to survey all hospitals for compliance with the Medicare Conditions of Participation and Coverage.
- Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) -- develops standards and methods for evaluation of the quality of care delivered. The IAC provides accreditation programs for vascular testing, echocardiography, nuclear/PET, MRI, diagnostic CT, dental CT, carotid stenting, vein treatment and management and cardiac electrophysiology.
- National League of Nursing Accrediting Commission -- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) is the entity that is responsible for the specialized accreditation of nursing education programs, both postsecondary and higher degree, which offer either a certificate, a diploma, or a recognized professional degree (clinical doctorate, master’s/post-master’s certificate, baccalaureate, associate, diploma, and practical).
- Primary Stroke Center -- from the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP), an independent, nationally-recognized accreditation authority. This Primary Stroke Certifications shows that Firelands has the capacity to stabilize and treat acute stroke patients, provide acute care and administer tPA and other acute therapies safely and efficiently. Firelands has been certified as a Primary Stroke Center since 2007. The stroke care provided at Firelands includes emergency care, including TeleStroke technology, diagnostic care, physicians specializing in stroke care, comprehensive rehabilitation and services to assist patients in recovery from stroke.
If you have questions about quality measures or would like help in looking at this publicly reported information, please contact the quality and patient satisfaction department at 419-557-6817.