Firelands Regional Medical Center Named Among America’s Best Hospitals for Orthopedic/Spine Surgery
(October 17, 2017 - Sandusky, Ohio) – To practice clinical excellence means to perform at a level well above satisfactory, and that’s what patients can expect from Firelands Regional Medical Center’s spine and orthopedic services. Healthgrades recognized Firelands as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ for clinical excellence in spine and orthopedic care for 2018.
Among the distinctions received are America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery™ and America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™. Firelands is one of only two hospitals in Ohio to receive both distinctions in 2018. Additionally, Firelands is the only hospital in our 4-county service area* to achieve both the America’s 100 Best for Orthopedic Surgery™ and Spine Surgery™ in 2018.
Firelands is also the recipient of the Healthgrades 2017 Patient Safety Excellence Award, and named among the top 10 percent in the nation for patient safety in 2017.
The achievement is part of findings released today in the Healthgrades 2018 Report to the Nation. The new report demonstrates how clinical performance continues to differ dramatically between hospitals nationally, regionally and at the local level, and the impact that this variation may have on health outcomes.
“These ratings reinforce the idea that quality is always a top priority at Firelands Regional Medical Center,” said Patty Martin, vice president of quality & patient satisfaction. “We want to empower our patients with the confidence to choose Firelands as their healthcare provider, and practicing clinical excellence in these areas allows us to do so.”
Specifically, Firelands Regional Medical Center achieved the following Healthgrades accolades:
- One of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery™ for 6 Years in a Row (2013-2018)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Spine Surgery Excellence Award™ for 6 Years in a Row (2013-2018)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Spine Surgery for 6 Years in a Row (2013-2018)
- Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery for 13 Years in a Row (2006-2018)
- One of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™ for 2 Years in a Row (2017-2018)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award™ for 3 Years in a Row (2016-2018)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services for 3 Years in a Row (2016-2018)
- Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement in 2018
- Five-Star Recipient for Back Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2017-2018)
- Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 9 Years in a Row (2010-2018)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2017 Patient Safety Excellence Award™
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Patient Safety in 2017
It is together with the experienced neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons at Firelands Regional Medical Center that the health system achieved these nationally recognized distinctions for 2017 and 2018.
“These achievements show that patients who need spine or orthopedic care can access some of the nation’s best physicians at a hospital focused on patient safety without traveling far from home,” said Martin Tursky, president & CEO of Firelands Regional Medical Center. “Our patients are the top priority at Firelands, and these ratings and awards further reinforce this focus.”
For its analysis, Healthgrades focuses strictly on clinical outcomes, not subjective reputational metrics or financial or structural metrics, and uses a transparent methodology. The organization independently analyzes each short-term acute care hospital in the country – nearly 4,500 hospitals – and utilizes three years of Medicare patient data (2014 through 2016).
“Many consumers believe that hospital quality is standardized, though the reality is that clinical quality and outcomes at hospitals vary widely across the country,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Healthgrades, Chief Medical Officer. “The hospitals that have achieved the Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for orthopedic surgery and spine surgery distinctions have demonstrated a commitment to exceptional quality of care and can distinguish themselves to consumers seeking care at high-quality facilities.”
The complete Healthgrades 2018 Report to the Nation and detailed study methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality. Learn more about Firelands Regional Medical Center’s 2017 and 2018 Healthgrades achievements today.
*Area includes Erie, Ottawa, Sandusky, and Huron counties.
Healthgrades independently measures hospitals based on data that hospitals submit to the federal government. No hospital can opt in or out of the analysis, and no hospital pays to be measured. Healthgrades risk adjusts for patient demographic characteristics and clinical risk factors, thereby taking into account how sick patients are upon admission.