Getting to know Firelands Virtual Care
At Firelands Regional Health System, we are always looking for ways to help you and your family feel better. Whether that is through shorter wait times, quicker visits at one of our Urgent Cares, providing compassionate care during your treatment and recovery or matching you with a primary care provider that fits your health care needs. No matter what it is, you are always our reason. That’s why we are happy to announce that we have another convenient way for you to receive care. Through our Firelands Virtual Care app or by visiting firelandsvirtualcare.com, you can now visit a provider in real-time, from anywhere, through your phone, tablet or computer.
Firelands Virtual Care is considered a form of telehealth. Maybe you have heard of this type of health care before, or maybe not? Either way, we want to help answer some of the most common questions people have about using a tool like this.
10 Things to know
1) It’s safe: Firelands Virtual Care is a private, secure, HIPAA-compliant tool that allows you to safely and confidentially meet with a medical provider. Our security and privacy program is built to the highest of standards and has passed extensive federal security audits, so you can rest assured knowing your personal medical information is in safe hands.
2) It’s convenient: Providers on Firelands Virtual Care are available seven days a week, 24 hours a day to care for you virtually.
3) It maintains your complete medical record: One of the benefits of having our own virtual care platform is the ability to communicate your visit summary information to your primary care provider. This avoids fragmentation of your medical record and allows Firelands Regional Health System to provide better care for you in coordination with your primary care provider. All patients will also receive a copy of their visit summary electronically after their visit.
4) Firelands Virtual Care can treat common minor illnesses:
Minor illnesses include allergies (seasonal), common cold, cough, diarrhea, earache, fever, influenza (flu), minor burns, rashes, minor skin infections, nausea/vomiting, sinus infections, sore throat, sprains and strains, sunburn, upper respiratory illness, urinary tract infections, adult yeast infections, and pink eye.
7) Firelands Virtual Care is not for emergencies: While Virtual Care can treat common conditions, it should not be a substitute for in-person care when it comes to serious or life-threatening conditions, suicidal thoughts, or substance abuse. If you are experiencing severe symptoms or have a serious medical concern, it’s important to go to the emergency room or call 911.
8) Medication can be prescribed via Virtual Care: Providers on Firelands Virtual Care can prescribe medication when they deem it medically appropriate. However, there are some restrictions.
9) Firelands Virtual Care doctors can provide medical forms: Whether you need a sick slip, or back to work/school documents, Firelands Virtual Care providers can complete these as medically appropriate.
10) Cost: Firelands Virtual Care is available with or without insurance. The cost to use the service is $54. However, if you do have health insurance, this cost could be less depending on your plan and provider.
Jim Spicer, vice president, operations, commented on the advantages of having a tool like Firelands Virtual Care, “Providing an online, on-demand healthcare service aimed at improving access and convenience is something we have wanted to accomplish for our community. Giving our patients this unique care option allows them the freedom to control their health, on their terms and time. Another key advantage of using Firelands Virtual Care is that patient records for each visit are sent directly to their primary care providers. This allows us to maintain a high level of care that we strive to provide each day.”
Denao Ruttino, vice president, operations and CIO, continued, “As a not-for-profit health system, we are here only to serve the community. Telemedicine is one of the ways we can do this. Firelands Virtual Care will combine some of our strengths, great providers and staff, and the right technologies. We are excited to lead the area in delivering healthcare that is on your terms.”
Download the app today
You can download the Firelands Virtual Care app for free using the Apple or Android App Store. Simply search “Firelands Virtual Care” and you will see our icon with our signature leaf logo. Once installed, you will need to create an account. After this is complete, you can start using Firelands Virtual Care for all your non-emergent needs – care is just a click away! If you have any other questions or concerns, please call or email the American Well support team at 877-827-6958 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit firelands.com/virtualcare