My Friend, the Doctor Who Fixed my Severe Back Pain
When former radio personality Ted Lux met Dr. Dale Braun in the 1980’s through a colleague, he didn’t even have the title “doctor” yet. Dr. Braun was in training to be a physician, but even then, Ted Lux knew he would someday need his services.
“I had undergone back surgery in 1980 and I knew it wasn’t a permanent solution because that’s how back surgery is,” he recalls. “When I met Dale and we became friends, I told him, ‘Hurry up and become a neurosurgeon. I’m going to need you!’”
For more than 20 years, Ted and Dr. Braun remained friends. Their friendship endured while Dr. Braun was in private practice at Hillcrest Hospital in Cleveland and then when he moved to Sandusky. Ted’s life also changed throughout their friendship. He enjoyed a successful radio career for 25 years before joining the City of Brecksville, where he still works as the Events Coordinator for their senior center.
“Ted was on the radio and a voice in the community in Cleveland for so long, we called him the ‘father of radio’” Dr. Braun recalls. “He is truly a first-class individual. I first became his physician in the 1990’s at Hillcrest and have been honored to remain his physician here.”
In 2009, Ted began experiencing severe back pain and he knew just who to see. “I told my wife and son that I was going to see my good friend, even if it meant making the trip from my home in Brecksville to Sandusky.”
After thorough a evaluation in February 2010, Dr. Braun recommended spinal fusion surgery to ease Ted’s pain and to get him back to living his life again. He and his family were so happy with the care he received during his surgery that he has made gifts in tribute to Dr. Braun and the care team at Firelands every year since then.
“I could’ve gone to University Hospitals or to the Cleveland Clinic or to MetroHealth, but I trust Dr. Braun and I think he and Firelands are the best," Ted says. “From the moment I stepped in the door at Firelands, I knew it was a first-class hospital in a small town. I was so impressed with how I received individualized care.”
Ted and his family haven’t had to make the trip to Sandusky in a few years, meaning Ted’s spinal health has been great. Yet, he knows that when he does need care again in the future, he can rely on Dr. Braun and on Firelands.
“Firelands is so welcoming, and so unlike the medical centers in a big city, where you are just a number.” Ted says. “I feel right at home at Firelands. I’ve made gifts throughout the years because I know what a great physician Dr. Braun is and I know that he and Firelands are the best.”
For Dr. Braun, that recognition is humbling and reflects the team approach that Firelands strives to take with each patient. “I’m always touched and amazed when people make tribute gifts,” he says. “We’re just doing what we’re supposed to be doing. We are doing our jobs. The tribute gifts make me feel great. It tells me that the care–the total care–that they received at Firelands is top notch.”
Do You Have Severe Back Pain?
If so, Firelands can help in multiple ways. Our multi-specialty physician group, Firelands Physician Group, offers pain management services from two specialists, Dr. Sherif Zaky and Dr. Thomas Felter. When surgery is the best option for treatment of severe back pain, our spine surgery capabilities provide the highest quality care close to home.
Here’s what you can expect from our back surgeons and spine specialists who treat severe back pain:
- Both non-surgical and surgical treatments for a variety of conditions, including minimally-invasive techniques, performed by some of the top back surgery specialists in the state.
- Access to the region’s only team-based approach for back, neck and spine care.
- Exceptional treatment from a designated Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Ohio. The Blue Distinction Centers for Specialty Care® program is a national designation awarded to medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality specialty care.
- A commitment to safety and quality, from nursing to infection prevention efforts.
- Access to our inpatient rehabilitation programs to ensure optimal recovery once your procedure is complete.find a spine specialist and back surgery specialist
- Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery™ for 6 Years in a Row (2013-2018)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Spine Surgery Excellence Award™ for 6 Years in a Row (2013-2018)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Spine Surgery for 6 Years in a Row (2013-2018)
- Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery for 13 Years in a Row (2006-2018)
Find more information about spine surgery for severe back pain today.