What are Nurse Practitioners & Physician Assistants?
You may have noticed a different type of provider the last time you visited your physician’s office and you may wonder what the difference is between a nurse practitioner and physician assistant and the physician you’ve seen in the past.
Nurse practitioners (NPs) and physician assistants (PAs) are healthcare providers who diagnose and treat illness. These licensed practitioners hold masters or doctoral degrees and work in partnership with physicians in our community to ensure that the highest level of care is provided to our patients.
These unique partnerships expand the ability for Firelands to improve patient access, quality, the patient experience and the overall care delivery process, meaning you receive better care, more quickly. Increasing the number of healthcare providers in our community also allows more time to be spent with patients to determine which education and treatment plans are best for them.
Nurse practitioners and physician assistants commonly:
- Obtain medical histories and perform physical examinations
- Provide immunizations and other preventative care
- Diagnose and treat illnesses
- Identify, treat, and manage chronic diseases such as diabetes and arthritis
- Order and interpret diagnostic tests such as x-rays, blood work, and EKG's
- Prescribe and administer medications
- Prescribe physical therapy and other rehabilitation therapy
- Provide education to allow patients to make decisions about their own health
- Perform procedures such as suturing, casting, cryotherapy, and skin biopsy
- Refer to other health care providers
Firelands Regional Health System currently has nurse practitioners and physician assistants practicing in the following areas:
- Adult Primary Care
- Pediatric Primary Care
- Urgent Care
- Emergency Services (ER)
- Pain Management
- Behavioral Health
- Sleep Medicine
- Endocrinology/Diabetes Care
- Wound Care
Since Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants can see patients, you can use our 'Find a Provider' search tool to find a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant at the location of your choice. Find the provider who is right for you, today.