When to Have a 3D Mammogram at Firelands
Do you know when to have a mammogram? According to the American Cancer Society, women should consider a 2D or 3D mammogram when they reach the following ages:
- Women ages 40 to 44 should have the choice to start annual breast cancer screening with mammograms.
- Women age 45 to 54 should get mammograms every year.
- Women 55 and older should switch to mammograms every 2 years, or can continue yearly screening. Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 10 more years or longer.
For women of all ages, routine self-exams are essential. It's important to be aware of how your breasts should look and feel, and to regularly check for changes such as lumps and abnormalities.
3D Mammograms for Women in Huron, Norwalk, Fremont, Sandusky & Nearby
We are excited to announce that our patients are able to benefit from the latest advancement in digital breast imaging; breast tomosynthesis, better known as 3D mammography, in Huron, Norwalk, Fremont, Sandusky and nearby.
3D mammography is a revolutionary new screening and diagnostic breast imaging tool to improve the early detection of breast cancer. This procedure complements standard 2D mammography and is performed simultaneously, using the same positions and compression. 3D mammography captures multiple slices of the breast to produce a clear, 3 dimensional reconstruction of the breast, allowing radiologists to review the beast tissue one layer at a time.
3D mammography takes a few seconds longer than 2D mammography and delivers a radiation dose well within the FDA regulated limit for mammography.
Benefits of a 3D Mammogram: See the Whole Picture
The many 3D mammography benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Increase the detection of breast cancers
- Decrease the number of women recalled for additional testing
- More effectively pinpoint the size, shape and location of abnormalities
- Requires no additional compression compared to a traditional mammogram
- Confidence and peace of mind in your results
Those in Huron, Norwalk, Sandusky, Fremont and nearby who wish to schedule a 2D or 3D mammogram can call 419-557-7840. Please check with your insurance provider about coverage options for 3D mammography. Financial assistance is available by calling our Financial Counselors at 419-557-7879.