Cancer Patient & Family Support
Support for cancer patients and their family is key to the holistic approach to treatment at University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center at Firelands Regional Medical Center. Support services available through the cancer center include:
- Patient Navigator to assist with barriers to care and support through the entire cancer journey.
- The RISE Cancer Rehabilitation program to help patients create their best life.
- American Cancer Society resource center and library, which offers an abundance of resources and information on cancer. DVDs and written materials are available as well as computer access to Internet resources in addition to hosting the ACS Look Good Feel Better program
- From Cancer to Health, which helps people recently diagnosed with cancer manage their stress. Research shows that the program helps people reduce stress, improve social support, have fewer physical side effects from cancer treatments, and have easier communication with their healthcare providers. For more information, call 419.557.5177.
- Community room, which is available for activities like community education events, cancer screenings, and cancer support group meetings
- Meditation room, which offers patients and visitors a quiet place for reflection
- Pet-assisted activities, where volunteers, along with their furry partners, visit patients. The four-legged volunteers provide much solace and relief to patients.
The Foundation for Firelands Cancer Program Fund benefits patients of University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center at Firelands in the following ways:
- Provides post-mastectomy camisoles and educational materials to all breast cancer surgical patients
- Provides reiki, massage therapy, and acupuncture to those patients whose physicians have written order for therapy
- Provides transportation assistance for patients in need
- Provides co-pay financial assistance for patients who qualify through the Firelands Regional Medical Center financial counseling offices
- Provides the use of laptops during chemotherapy treatments
- Provides craft projects, plants, and refreshments for the support group
Cancer Support Resources
Click an option below to read more about cancer patient and family support resources available to you, including transportation resources for cancer patients.
American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society is a nationwide, community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem.
American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
The Commission on Cancer (CoC) is dedicated to improving cancer care and the outcome of care by setting quality standards and accrediting over 1,500 cancer programs nationwide. The CoC includes representatives from all stakeholders in oncology, including physician and nursing groups and patient advocacy organizations.
Association of Cancer Online Resources
ACOR is a unique collection of online communities designed to provide timely and accurate information in a supportive environment.
Look Good...Feel Better
Look Good…Feel Better is dedicated to improving the self-esteem and quality of life of people undergoing treatment of cancer.
National Cancer Institute
The National Cancer Institute coordinates the National Cancer Program, which conducts and supports research, training, health information dissemination and other programs with respect to the cause, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of cancer; rehabilitation from cancer; and the continuing care for cancer patients and the families of cancer patients.
National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship
People Living with Cancer
Cancer.Net brings the expertise and resources of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the voice of the world’s cancer physicians, to people living with cancer and those who care for and about them. All content is subject to a formal peer-review process by the Cancer.Net editorial board, composed of more than 150 medical, surgical, radiation and pediatric oncologists; oncology nurses; social workers; and patient advocates.
Tender Loving Care
A not-for-profit website and catalog of the American Cancer Society. Their mission is to help women cope during and after cancer treatments by providing wigs and other hair-loss products (plus how-to information) as well as mastectomy products.
Transportation Resources for Cancer Patients
Numerous options are available for patients who may need assistance with transportation to and from their appointments. For more options call our staff at 419.557.7480. Below is a small sample of the transportation resources for cancer patients:
- Firelands Regional Medical Center Transportation Department: 419.557.7052
- Sandusky Transit Service: 419.627.0740
- Share-A-Ride: 419.624.0367
- Veterans Services of Erie County Transportation: 419.627.7650