Concussion & Sports Medicine
If you or your child plays a sport and gets hurt, you probably want to get back in the game as quickly as possible. Being sidelined with a muscle strain, concussion, sprained ankle or other injury is never fun – but patience and quality care are essential to heal.
People between 15 to 19 years old are the most common age group to experience sports-related traumatic brain injuries like concussions. High school football has the highest rate of concussions, followed next by girls’ soccer. The first step to getting back out there? Being able to spot symptoms of concussion.
People between 15 to 19 years old are the most common age group to experience concussions.
Typical Symptoms of Concussion Include:
- Appearing dazed, stunned or confused
- Moving clumsily, answering questions slowly, difficulty balancing
- Trouble recalling events just before or after the impact
- Sensitivity to light or noise
- Nausea or vomiting
- Blurry or double vision
- Numbness or tingling
If you or a loved one experiences these symptoms, ignoring them or trying to “tough it out” is never the answer. Rest and recovery is essential, as well as consultation with a healthcare professional. We can help.
Choose the Firelands Physician Group Sports Medicine Clinic
Firelands Physician Group & Firelands Regional Medical Center have teamed up to provide a Sports Injury Concussion Clinic, which includes the most comprehensive sports injury program in the area and the only team-based program in the region providing post-concussion treatment. Our treatment program includes consultation with a neuropsychologist and integration of physical therapy and athletic training.
Hours of Operation
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
In addition, Firelands Physician Group Sports Medicine Clinic provides:
- Post-Concussion Treatment from Injury – resulting from sports trauma, occupational injuries, and car accidents)
- Sports Rehabilitation – including tendonitis/muscle sprains, knee strains, shoulder/elbow/wrist injuries, back and neck pain, joint injuries)
- Treatment for all ages and sports injuries – from the blossoming beginner soccer player to the high school football star to the adult weekend warrior, and more.
We know you or your child just wants to play sports again. Let us help you heal.
Contact us for more information about treatment for sports injuries in Norwalk, Sandusky, Huron and surrounding areas.