Tobacco Cessation Program
The Tobacco Cessation program through Firelands Regional Health Systems is a collaboration between Erie County General Health District and other healthcare agencies to provide tobacco cessation services to all patients. The program is tailored to provide support for all patients, even those who may be managing chronic health conditions related to tobacco use. The program has providers available across the county who have partnered with us, but may not be from Firelands Regional Health Systems.
The Firelands Center of Coordinated Care also offers a ‘mobile’ services, with their Tobacco Treatment Specialists traveling to Behavioral Health and HUD housing to provide group classes.
Why is a tobacco cessation program needed?
Tobacco is the leading cause of preventable death. On average, every cigarette takes 11 minutes off your life. The tobacco cessation program will provide a centralized place for individual’s wanting to quit tobacco, but may not be able to accomplish the goal without assistance. Pregnant women are able to receive grant-funded services at Erie County Health Department free of charge.
How do I enroll in the tobacco cessation program?
Any patient can enroll through self-referral by calling an affiliated clinic or through a physician referral. Enrollment is available to anyone at no cost to the patient regardless of their insurance or lack of insurance. For more information call 419-621-1047 or email email@example.com
What is the procedure for follow-up in the tobacco cessation program?
After the tobacco cessation program receives a completed referral form, the patient will then be contacted by a patient navigator and asked a series of enrollment that will help determine the best program for that individual patient. Programs can include individual counseling, group class, telephonic counseling or a combination.
Where are programs for tobacco cessation located?
- The individual counseling takes place at the Center for Coordinated Care at the Hayes/Tyler corner of the Firelands Regional Medical Center main campus, 1221 Hayes Ave., Suite B.
- The group classes are located at Firelands Regional Medical Center main campus or at Behavioral Health 1925 Hayes Ave.
- Telephonic counseling is offered through the Ohio Quitline and can be done at any time.
All of the above classes and visits are conducted by a certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist.
Other Support Resources
- American Lung Association: 1-800 Lung USA
- OH Quitline: 1-800 Quit NOW
- Elaine Slisher, 419-557-6151 Tobaccofree@firelands.com