Occupational Health & Work-Related Injury
Since 1981, Firelands Corporate Health Center has provided a comprehensive package of occupational and safety services to hundreds of companies in and around our region and is dedicated to the practice of occupational health with a specialty in work injury and workers’ compensation. You can find the level of expertise you need to control healthcare costs, meet regulations, and keep your workforce healthy and productive. Comprehensive packages of occupational health services can be tailored to each company’s needs, including:
- Ancillary services
- Bureau of Workers' Compensation (BWC) injury treatment and care management
- BWC Drug Free Safety Program including supervisor training and employee education programs
- Department of Transportation (DOT) consortiums: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, United States Coast Guard (USCG) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- DOT and non-DOT random programs
- DOT exams with certified examiners(required as of May 2014)
- Drug and alcohol testing with 24/7 coverage
- Educational programs including bloodborne pathogen training, drug and alcohol training, American Heart Association CPR, First Aid and AED
- Electronic fingerprinting and background checks
- Employee assistance program and Certified DOT SAP
- FAA Flight Exams
- Fit-for-work, return-to-duty and evaluations
- Medical review officer services
- On-site testing including health screens and drug testing
- Physical examinations including respiratory examinations
Injuries that occur on-the-job are common, especially for occupations like heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers, laborers, and even nursing assistants. The most common type of work-related injury is a musculoskeletal injury, such as sprains and strains resulting from overexertion, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics says these occur in 31 percent of work-related injury cases.
If you or a loved one suffers an injury at work, you can turn to one of the three Firelands Regional Medical Center occupational health locations – two in Sandusky and one in Clyde – for prompt, thorough treatment. Common work-related injuries we treat include:
- Sprains and strains
- Repetitive motion injuries
- Injuries from slips, trips or falls
- Injuries from work-related vehicle accidents
- Other musculoskeletal injuries
What We Do for Work-Related Injury
Firelands Regional Medical Center Corporate Health Center provides rapid treatment of occupational injuries in a professional, cost-saving manner. Initial care, as well as follow-up care, is provided to any Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation managed care organization or self-insured employer.
When work-related injuries occur, we encourage our corporate clients to contact the corporate health center as outlined in the hours of operation listed below. We offer two convenient locations in order to better serve our clients.
Primarily, the Milan Road location is available for work-related injuries between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.. We encourage the supervisor to call prior to sending the employee in order to better triage the injury care needed. As always, patients with severe injuries should be immediately directed to the nearest emergency room.
Follow-Up Care for an Injury at Work
When injuries are treated at Firelands Corporate Health Center, the injured worker is either returned to work immediately or placed on limited duty with restrictions. Occasionally, an employee may need to be off work for a period of time. You will be notified of any such work restrictions.
If the employee needs further care, an appropriate referral will be made or a return appointment will be scheduled with Firelands Corporate Health Center.
If no follow-up is required, the care is completed.
Firelands Corporate Health Center physicians hold specialized certifications in the many facets of occupational medicine. We provide the care for your injured worker necessary to allow a safe, early return to work.
Everyone knows we do Drug Screens, but did you know Corporate Health also offers an abundance of additional occupational health services to meet your company’s and employee needs?
- We can handle your random consortium to assure compliance with the various DOT agencies
- We will come on-site and perform Bus Driver physicals for your school.
- All of our staff has been trained to perform Breath Alcohol Tests and Drug Screens to comply with the DOT regulations.
- We can provide Drug & Alcohol Training for you to comply with BWC Drug Free Safety Program and Department of Transportation.
- We have 3 American Heart Instructors to teach CPR and First Aid to your employees. This can be done at CHC or at your location.
- We can provide Blood-borne Pathogen Training, either on-site or at CHC.
- Do you have an employee that you are concerned about in reference to job safety? Our physicians will perform a Fit-For-Duty exam.
- Do you have an employee that has been off work and you want to be sure they can return to their job safely? Our physicians will also do Return-To-Work Exams.
- Does your company require employees to wear respirators? We have trained staff to do Fit Testing, either at CHC or on-site.
- Does your company have a Hearing Conservation Program? Many of our staff members are CAOHC certified and can handle all requirements of a Hearing Conservation Program. We are able to come to your company to do audio exams.
- All of our providers are on the National Registry of Medical Examiners, meaning they are qualified to perform DOT exams.
- We have a provider that is able to perform Pilot physicals to comply with the FAA regulations.
- All of our providers are able to perform physicals to comply with Coast Guard Regulations.
Select a location below to view the address, phone number and hours of operation.