Transitional Year Residency
Firelands Regional Medical Center offers a transitional year residency featuring a strong clinical base for any residency. The transitional year residents at Firelands Regional Medical Center are the foundation of the house staff and provide important mentoring and leadership roles for the students. The program includes both ambulatory and hospital based rotations, giving residents progressive independence in medical management and decision making. The hospital combines a strong didactic clinical medical education with a busy regional medical center to provide the resident with one of the strongest medical education experiences possible. Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) is integrated into the program through bi-monthly OMM workshops and an expectation that the OMM principles learned in the classroom are translated into patient care in the clinics and on the hospital floors.
The Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) has approved four slots for Firelands Regional Medical Center's transitional year residency.
View a copy of the curriculum.
Medical Internship Salary
Additional Resident Benefits
In addition to the above-mentioned medical internship salary, resident benefits include:
- Health insurance plan including prescription drug, dental and vision coverage for house staff and family
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Liability insurance
- Sign-on bonus
- Educational stipend
- Exercise allowance
- Moving allowance
- AOA membership fee
- Ohio training certificate fee
- Two lab coats
- Meals while on duty
Applicants seeking to apply to the program must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Graduation within the past 2 years from a medical school in the United States of America or Canada, accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduation within the past 2 years from a college of osteopathic medicine in the United States of America, accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduation within the past 2 years from a medical school outside of the United States of America or Canada who:
- Holds a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) prior to appointment;
- Holds a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a United States licensing jurisdiction in his or her current ACGME specialty/subspecialty program;
- has graduated from a medical school outside the United States and completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Firelands Regional Medical Center does not sponsor visas.