Transitional Year Residency
Firelands Regional Medical Center offers a transitional year residency featuring a strong clinical base for any residency. The transitional year residents at Firelands Regional Medical Center are the foundation of the house staff and provide important mentoring and leadership roles for the students. The program includes both ambulatory and hospital based rotations, giving residents progressive independence in medical management and decision making. The hospital combines a strong didactic clinical medical education with a busy regional medical center to provide the resident with one of the strongest medical education experiences possible. Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) is integrated into the program through OMM workshops and an expectation that the OMM principles learned in the classroom are translated into patient care in the clinics and on the hospital floors.
The Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) has approved four slots for Firelands Regional Medical Center's transitional year residency.
View a copy of the curriculum
Firelands is proud to utilize a diverse faculty that is committed to training our residents to be outstanding family physicians.
Learn more about our diverse faculty on our "Who We Are" page.
Who We Are
|Transitional Year Residency Salary
In addition to the above-mentioned medical internship salary, resident benefits include:
Health insurance plan including prescription drug, dental and vision coverage for house staff and family
Long-term disability insurance
AOA membership fee
Ohio training certificate fee
Two lab coats
Meals while on duty
Applicants seeking to apply to the program must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Graduation from a medical school in the United States of America or Canada, accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduation from a college of osteopathic medicine in the United States of America, accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduation from a medical school outside of the United States of America or Canada who:
- Holds a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) prior to appointment; or
- Holds a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a United States licensing jurisdiction in his or her current ACGME specialty/subspecialty program; Or
- Has graduated from a medical school outside the United States and completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Firelands Regional Medical Center does not sponsor visas.
For more information on additional Medical Education Programs offered at Firelands Regional Medical Center explore the links below!
Firelands Regional Medical Center's Family Medicine Residency is dedicated to developing physicians who are highly skilled and qualified to manage the many aspects of family medicine — including ambulatory care, preventive medicine, chronic disease management, inpatient medicine, office procedures and practice management.
View more about the program
The Firelands Regional Medical Center Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship is designed for candidates who have long term career goals in end-of-life care or a desire to pursue end-of-life care as an adjunct to their career in primary care. This program is open to anyone who has completed an ACGME-approved residency in family medicine, internal medicine, neurology or psychiatry and is designed around a competency based curriculum with these seven major areas.
View more about the program
Interested in speaking with someone on our team? Fill out the form below and someone will reach out to you within 1-3 business days.