The Center for Breast Care at Firelands Regional Medical Center provides a full spectrum of breast care, including mammography for those in Norwalk, Sandusky, Fremont and nearby. We understand the unique healthcare concerns of women and are dedicated to meeting their specific needs.
Choose a link below to learn more about what our comprehensive care program includes:
Women's Imaging Services
- Digital Mammography with 3D option
An annual screening mammogram is recommended for all women age 40 and over. Whether you're looking for 3D mammography in Norwalk, Sandusky, Huron, Fremont or nearby, you can find it here. The goal of screening mammography is to detect cancer when it is still too small to be felt. If the patient has a strong family or personal history of breast cancer, or if there are any noticeable changes, a diagnostic mammogram may be performed.
- Breast Ultrasound and Ultrasound-Guided Biopsy
Using high-frequency sound waves to visualize the breast, breast ultrasound is most commonly used to evaluate abnormalities, such as cysts or solid masses. This procedure is helpful in evaluating lumps that can be felt but are difficult to see on a mammogram.
- Stereotactic Breast Biopsy
This biopsy uses stereotactic guidance or computerized imaging of the breast from different angles to determine the precise location of an abnormality. This biopsy is performed using a local anesthetic. Benefits of this less-invasive biopsy include minimal scarring and immediate return to normal activities.
- Bone Densitometry (DEXA Scan)
Until recently, osteoporosis often went undiagnosed, progressing silently over the years, until a fracture occurred. With the development of dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scan, early diagnosis is possible and fractures associated with this disease can be prevented. In this safe, painless 10-minute scan, minimal radiation is used to determine the bone density of the spine, hip or wrist.
- Lab Work
If your physician has ordered lab work, you can have your blood drawn in the woman’s health and wellness center. Simply present your lab work orders when you arrive for your other services.
- Diagnostic 2D and 3D mammography and self referral mammograms
- Diagnostic Breast MRI
- Bone density scan
- Lymph node imaging (sentinel node)
- Ultrasound guided breast biopsy/aspiration
- Stereotactic core biopsy
- MRI guided breast biopsy
- Radioactive seed localization
- Breast needle localization (guidewire)
- Surgical biopsy
Community Health Workers
Our community health workers are not medical professionals, but act as natural support systems for the community. They connect with the local minority and senior citizen populations to identify individuals who are in need of screening, such as 3D mammography and self referral mammograms, in Norwalk, Sandusky or elsewhere and encourage them to get screened. They will also help these individuals navigate through the healthcare system.
The patient navigator helps the patient and their family "navigate" the healthcare services and provider referrals to ensure prompt diagnosis and treatment between all members of the multidisciplinary team.
Breast Surgery in Norwalk, Sandusky & Nearby
- Partial mastectomy
- Modified radical mastectomy
- Skin sparing mastectomies
- Nipple sparing mastectomies
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Immediate breast reconstruction
- Implant based
- TRAM flap
- Latissimus dorsi flap
- Fat transfer/grafting
- Nipple reconstruction
- Breast reduction
- Endocrine therapy
- Targeted therapy (biologic therapy)
- Clinical trials
- Weekly multidisciplinary breast tumor board
- Fertility preservation
- External beam radiology (3D CRT, FIF, IMRT)
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI-EBRT)
- Peer review of all treatment plans with University Hospitals
- Clinical trials
- Massage* and Reiki*
- Guided imagery (at Stein Hospice)
- Pet therapy
- From Cancer to Health program (a stress management and coping intervention in collaboration with Firelands Counseling and Recovery Services)
*The Foundation for Firelands provides funding for these services.
Supportive Care and Symptom Management
- Nutritional services
- Social work services
- Pain management
- Genetic counseling
- Look Good... Feel Better*
- Palliative medicine (by referral to Stein Palliative Medicine)
- Benefits authorization specialist to assist with barriers to care and coordinate assistance
- Reach to Recovery *
- Video conference ability with University Hospitals tumor board
*In collaboration with the American Cancer Society.
Certified STAR® Program - Cancer Rehabilitation
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Lymphedema management
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Lactation specialists with consultations available
- Return to work program
Schedule Your Mammogram Today!
Firelands Regional Medical Center main campus is the area’s only Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, and our imaging services are accredited by the American College of Radiology.
We are excited to announce that our patients are able to benefit from the latest advancement in digital breast imaging; breast tomosynthesis, better known as 3D mammography. To learn more about 3D mammography in Norwalk, Sandusky, Fremont and nearby, click here.
Firelands accepts self-referrals (no physician order needed) for screening mammograms. You must be 35 years of age or older, have no personal history of breast cancer and have no breast complaints. Screenings (with doctor order) can be scheduled at either facility. Self-referral patients are only scheduled at main campus. To schedule your mammogram, call 419.557.7840.
Meet Our Multidisciplinary Team
- Fredric Itzkowitz, DO
- Paul Laffay, DO
- Albert Vargas, MD
- Karen Sheehan, MD
- Richard Patterson, Jr., MD
- Young Hong, MD
- Nel Go, MD
- Gregory Surfield, MD
Dr. Surfield provides breast
surgery for those in Norwalk,
Sandusky, Fremont and nearby.
- Natalia Markelova, MD
- Jianlan Sun, MD
- Amy Reese, MD
- Hammad Rashid, MD
- Bo Zhao, MD
- Sherif Zaky, MD, MSc, PhD
- Mersiha Hadziahmetovic, MD
- Lisa Wilson, L.OM, DIPL.OM
Community Health Workers
- Frankie Byrd
- Roni Mehling